How do I report a bug ?
Best method is posting at JP's OpenGen forum
as I read it everyday.
To get a faster response, you should explain the bug, referring the efile used, the units/positions involved, and if possible an screen-shot showing the issue, and most important providing a file (usually a save-game) to allow me replicate the issue. You can upload that file to a free site like Dropbox, Google's drive or similar, and then posting a link, or can also send me the file by email anyway, please do not forget to say which EFile you were using for it.
Is it possible to reset the high scores/last scores ?
OpenGen uses 2 files to keep careers:
Can remove any or both files to reset careers.
- OpenHigh.scr has highest 5 scores
- OpenLast.scr has 5 last played scores
How to build airport with my sapper unit?
These are the requirements to build:
If all these conditions are fulfilled, when you select the unit, a menu will pop up including a "5 Bld Airfield" option.
Then press '5' and construction of airfield will start...
Construction takes time though. To know how many turns are remaining before construction is complete, put cursor on the unit building the airfield.
- Sapper unit must have "sapper" special attribute set in the Efile;
- Scenario option to "Allow to build Pontoons, Ports, Airfields, and Forts" [u]must be enabled[/u] for the scenario
- Player must have enough prestige to build it
- The unit must be situated on clear terrain and still have a move available.
Whenever the weather goes to rainy/snow, it turns the entire screen blue for a second while the rain/snow drops remain flashing ?
I still don't know why this happens on some video cards (including mine), but usually it is fixed by loading weather animations
in system memory instead of using default video card memory. Try this:
Now you should see weather effects properly ... But if this doesn't fix yet, then on step #3,
disable "Show weather animations" checkbox instead.
- Goto Settings (wrench icon)
- Click "User Interface Settings" button
- On top-right there is a checkbox "Load weather animations on system memory", click it
- Click Ok button to close dialog, and then again to close Settings Dialog.
How can I make the icons bigger in the screen ?
Press Ctrl+Z in the keyboard to toggle zoom 100-200%. This zoom only affects the map and units, not the panels, menus or dialogues.
Only the number of 'bars' affect combat stats?
Exactly, only bars count, experience level (xp) is only a counter to get the next bar/s after combat.
So there is no difference between 25xp and 95xp units for combat purposes.
What exact bonus a unit gets from a single experience bar ?
These are the bonus:
- Submarines probability of diving is affected by difference of submarine and attacker bars
- Also bars increase probability to evade combat for units with that attribute
- Rugged defence probability is affected by relative attacker/defender bars
- LB efficiency depends on its bars, same than strategic bombing when enabled
- Bars are added to effective attack and effective defence for both attacker and defender
- Bars are lent by combat-support attribute/leader to surrounding same-space friend units
- (1+bars)/2 is increased to initiative in all combats except a few cases (air attacking flaks/ADs, attacking/defending from submarine,
bunkers attacking at range >1, artillery firing or when rugged/surprise combat)
Combat Support leader, lends exp-bars or experience level ?
This leader lends its experience-bars to all adjacent units in combat, experience level is not affected.
I wonder what the difference between Air-defence and FlaK classes ?
The most important engine (hard coded) difference is AD use indirect fire and don't get return fire, neither support fire
(except from units having CBF special attribute), while Flak require direct line of fire. Also Flaks always fires first when attacked by air units.
Flaks usually can fire either air or ground units, while AD usually can only fire air units. But this is defined in efiles, thus can be different for any unit.
How to activate barrage fire for a specific artillery unit ?
Artillery or Capitol ship with '=' at top of unit info screen are able to Barrage attack, if scenario option is enabled.
Press "Shift" and then target any unspotted hex.
But only units having Bomber Size value bigger than 0 can actually use that feature.
So if unit show "=" at top of info screen, it means it has some Bomber Size value assigned in efile. You can check that value by hovering mouse on ammo icon, as it is printed on tool-tip.
When you press Shift key to set barrage/Bombard mode any spotted hex (so no hidden enemy) which terrain cannot be blown cursor shows a reticle with a red "X" and a small black binocular to warn you about there is nothing to bombard there.
Error... DirectDraw entry point not found !
Q: I have the PG2 version from GoG.com, and I installed OpenGen on same folder, but when I try to run the game from the OpenGen.exe I get an error message referring to "The procedure entry point DirectDraw.... could not be found or accessed in the dynamic library DDraw.dll" or something around those lines.
R: PG2 version from Gog install a modified version of ddraw.dll in game folder to be loaded instead default one. This modified version looks like it doesn't include same functions or entry points than standard one and this is the reason of the fault.
So if you want to be able to play either PG2 or OpenGen, you must install OpenGen in a different folder. If you want OpenGen to be installed on same folder anyway, then you need to rename [b]ddraw.dll[/b] in game folder to something like [b]gog_ddraw.dll[/b] so OpenGen will load the standard version.
Why my Overwhelming leader doesn't convert all suppression into kills ?
The way SSI wrote the help for this leader is prone to confusion.
This leader doesn't turn some suppression into kills actually ... what this leader does is adding a bonus of 2 to its attack value, but only when figuring out enemy casualties. So it is somehow true that it tends to get more kills than normal, but don't expect to see always results like X-0 because all suppression became kills...
A similar problem is for "Resilience" leader ... this leader reduces enemy attack value by 2 when enemy is figuring out combat casualties, so in fact probability of getting kills is lower and so unit is more "difficult to kill". In addition this leader avoids overruns in OpenGen.
How can I do to run OpenGen faster ?
On modern PCs, OpenGen should run fast enough, but if you find it to run slow try these hints:
Of course you don't need to do all these, they are just some hints you can test as some will speed up running OpenGen.
- Do not play with hexgrid ON
- Disable logs, specially if your HDD is not fast enough (7000 rpm). Also when scenario has many air units, writing AI log can take a lot
- Try to use 800x600 or 1024x768, do not use higher resolutions if you have a rather old video card
- Playing full video mode is faster then win video mode.
- Set timer a bit slower (Settings/Screen Settings/Refresh ratio-timer) to 40ms or so, it makes scroll not so smooth but saves CPU ticks. Lower timer ratio as smoother screen, but uses more CPU
- On same Screen Settings set Delay for rotation to 0 (no rotation of units to change face)
- Do not run any program needing much CPU or system memory while running OG.
- Turn weather animations off
- Do NOT play with Show Terrain ON...
How to a take a screenshot ?
If you are playing using OpenGeneral in "full-mode" yet, the best method is to switch to "win-mode", take the shot
and then return to "full-mode" again.
When using "win-mode", any Windows' standard method will work:
- Press PrtScen, to capture the entire screen to the clipboard, then paste (Ctrl+V) on Paint (or any graph editor).
That works even on Windows XP (and higher)
- Hold down Alt and press PrtScen to capture the active window to clipboard, then paste on a graph editor.
- For Windows: 8,8.1 and 10, can hold WINDOWS key and press PrtScen, the screen will be saved to "Pictures > Screenshots" folder
- For Windows 10, you can configure OneDrive to store your screen-shots when you press PrtScen.
- For Windows: Vista, 7, 8 and 10 can use the Windows' Snipping Tool, that include more options (free form, rectangular, any window or full screen)
and allows to annotate and save wherever you want
- And another method (which I prefer) is using one of the countless screenshot utilities you can find in the web.
As a personal choice I use PicPick which is free and very handy, allowing to choose how/what to select;
edit/anotate the picture taken and save/upload in different formats (even pdf);
send by mail;
or upload to Facebook, Twitter, Cloud, FTP or any server (Dropbox, Photobucket, .. ).
PicPick uses "imgur" by default returning a link to the image without needing to enter imgur.
Here you are a few links if you want to read more detailed...
Does open general work on the Windows 10?
Yes, OpenGen should work on Win10, but there was a windows security (Febrery 2017) what blocked OG, but the latest update(s) (April 2017) fixed this.
I cannot install it on Windows 10 ... why ?
Sometimes, Windows 10 blocks Open General from installing, but you might click on the bottom left of that security popup and
then it asks you if you want to run this program by an unknown publisher, click yes and away you go.
I am a linux / mac user and play opengen with wine. whenever weather changes, the game crashes :help
unfortunately wine emulator does not support windows sound system and opengen sound effects like weather animation can cause a crash. that's why you have to do these steps:
- 1. open a terminal, enter to the main opengen folder and delete all sound, music, multimedia (even from the efile subfolders):
find . -iname 'sfx' -o -iname 'smack' -o -iname 'sound' | xargs rm -rf
- 2. open the game and disable sound, music, multimedia
- Settings < / >
- media settings
- all volume = 0
Yes, OpenGen should work on Win10, but there was a windows security (Febrery
2017) what blocked OG, but the latest update(s) (April 2017) fixed this.
How does the "Healer Unit" perk work?
Give the perk to some (any) unit inside the scenario editor, by setting a value of strength points/round that unit will give around. In the game this special attribute should appear in the unit's description panel (like "healer +3 sp").
To use in the game, just put the wounded/damaged units adjacent to the healer. Next turn they will have gained the healing amount of SP.
Note that each use (turn) consumes one ammo of the healer unit (fixed amount, no matter how many units were healed and by how much), so your healer unit needs to have ammo and a means to resupply.
Also note that a ground based (ie land or water) healer unit only heals ground based units, it does not heal air units.
I guess an air healer unit should be able to heal air units (didn't try it), but the idea of a flying repair shop sounds silly to me. Obviously you could create a custom plane unit with a hangar icon and 0 movement, which could be placed on an airport to create an plane repair facility. Problem is ground units wouldn't be able to attack that facility (since it's actually a plane), and it would consume one of the airport's plane slots, so, unlike ground repair facilities, it's of limited use.
Where can i get the latest campaigns and how do i install them please?
Campaigns are tied to their specific equipment file (E-File). By downloading the updated E-Files you will also get their updated
campaigns. You can find them here DailyBuild EFILES folder
You can find additional information about updates in the JP forums
OpenGen repositry (Daily Build on SF, often in the related E-File forums.
We also try to announce new campaigns on Facebook Facebook.